The M&AE Seminar Series aims, not only to broaden the exposure of our students and faculty to new ideas and technical matters outside of their specific research focus, but also to foster a culture of open discussion among members of the Department. Our objective is to host speakers from both inside and outside of the Department, with a portion of the talks delivered by our graduate students. Speakers will be encouraged to make their presentations interesting and accessible to a relatively broad audience.
- Attendance at M&AE seminars is a program requirement for all M&AE thesis-based graduate students. Attendance will be recorded at all seminars. Ph.D. students must satisfy this requirement within 6 terms of initial registration.
- You must attend 10 (ten) seminarsfor M.A.Sc. to satisfy this requirement.
- You must attend 15 (fifteen) seminarsfor Ph.D. to satisfy this requirement.
- Visitors: Click here for a campus map of Carleton.mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information about the series, to suggest a speaker, or to volunteer as a speaker, please contact Dr. Mostafa El Sayed.
The current seminar schedule is posted below and is updated as needed.
- Schedule updated regularly
- All seminars will be in the afternoon
- Abstract to be added when ready
- Attendance sheets provided at all seminars
Seminar Dates and Abstracts
Seminars are held online until further notice.
For MAE graduate students, attendance will be counted towards your program requirements. To record your attendance, please email Janet (Janet.Perras@carleton.ca), with your “Name”, “Student ID” and “Program” within two-hours after the webinar.
Friday October 2nd, 2020 – 1:00PM-2:00PM EDT. “Biomaterials in Orthopadeic Practice at a Glance” by Dr. Mohamed Habib, Orthopaedic Surgery Department, School of Medicine-University of California, San Francisco (UCSF).
- Seminar Weblink: Microsoft Teams Seminar
Wednesday October 14, 2020 – 2:00PM-3:30PM EDT. “Materials in F1 Racing: What’s the Formula” by Mrs Matilda McAleenan, Materials Engineer at McLaren Racing Formula 1 Team, United Kingdom.
- Seminar Weblink: Register Here
Wednesday September 16th, 2020 – 8:00-10:00 PM EDT. “Additive Manufacturing” by Professor Hani Henein, Chemical and Materials Engineering Department, University of Alberta as part of ASM Canada Council’s Brian Ives Lectureship Series.
- Seminar Weblink: https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/brian-ives-lecture-dr-hani-henein-additive-manufacturing-tickets-119328036369?utm-medium=discovery&utm-campaign=social&utm-content=attendeeshare&utm-source=strongmail&utm-term=listing
June 4, 2020 – 3:30pm – Non-Terrestrial Networks (NTN): The Next 20 Years – Prof. Halim Yanikomeroglu (Systems and Computer Engineering, Carleton University)
- Seminar Weblink: https://meetingsamer.webex.com/meetingsamer/j.php?MTID=m12c70a5f9903e8ebe800bee1790abe62
February 28, 2020 – 1:30 p.m. – 1.Design and Development of Smart & Sustainable Drinking Water and Renewable Energy Systems (Prof. Freire-Gormaly)
February 7, 2020 1:00 p.m. CB 3101– Dr. Jiang “Smart materials and structures and their potential applications in UAV
January 8, 2020 1:00 p.m. – Models for Sustainable Energy System Design – Dr. Ahmed Abdulla, Carnegie Mellon University
November 29, 2019 1:30 p.m.
November 28, 2019 1:30 p.m.
November 22, 2019 1:30 p.m.
The Application of 2D Digital Image Correlation (DIC) System on Strain Measurements and Fatigue Crack Growth Analysis for Polymer Additive Manufacturing (AM) Parts – Ms. Hayat El Fazani Ph.D. Candidate Department of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering Carleton University
July 19, 2019 2:00 p.m.
July 12, 2019 1:30 p.m.
June 7, 2019 1:30 p.m.
Computer-Vision Based Pose Estimation of Neighboring Aircraft in an Uninhabited Aerial Vehicle (UAV) Swarm – Brendan Ooi, M.A.Sc. Candidate, Dept. of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Carleton University.
May 22, 2019 1:30 p.m.
May 17, 2019 1:30 p.m.
April 26, 2019 1:30 p.m.
March 1, 2019 1:30 p.m.
The use of decoupling structures in helmet liners to reduce maximum principal brain tissue strain for head impacts – Dr. Karen Taylor, Postdoctoral Fellow, Dept. of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Carleton University.
February 14, 2019 10:00 a.m.
Information session on the new rules, training requirements and compliance for remotely piloted aircraft systems – Professor Jeremy Laliberte, Dept. of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering, Carleton University.
January 18, 2019 1:30 p.m.
November 16, 2018 1:30 p.m.
November 9, 2018 1:30 p.m.
October 12, 2018 1:30 p.m.
September 28, 2018 1:30 p.m.
September 21, 2018 1:30 p.m.
August 27, 2018 3:00 p.m.
August 27, 2018 3:00 p.m.
Please note that if you wish to find out information about seminars being presented at the University of Ottawa, there is a calendar here.